This is quite quick to whip up and makes a very impressive (yet very easy) table centre piece for a dinner party. I made this for lunch on Fathers Day recently, and everyone said it was delicious!
Mediterranean Style Whole Baked Snapper Recipe Ingredients
- 1 x 2kg whole fresh snapper, gutted, cleaned and scaled (your fishmonger should be able to do this for you)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pepper to taste
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes, sieved to remove juice (freeze the juice to use in another recipe)
- Spice roasted carrot and chick pea salad, to serve
- Roast potatoes, to serve
Mediterranean Style Whole Baked Snapper Recipe Method
Line a baking tray, large enough to fit the snapper, with foil and spray lightly with olive oil spray. Dry the fish, inside and out with paper towel and sprinkle lightly with salt. Slash three slits across the thickest paste of the fish flesh on both sides using a sharp knife.
In a food processor quickly blend the butter, oil, garlic, paprika, parsley, salt, lemon juice, pepper and sieved tomatoes until a rough paste is formed (it will be a bit sloppy). Rub the paste all over the fish (inside and out), and push into the slits.
Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Place the fish in the oven and roast for 15-25 minutes. Check the thickest part of the fish flesh with a fork. It should flake gently and be just cooked (almost white). If it isn’t, return to the oven for a further few minutes. Remove from the oven when cooked, cover with a piece of foil and rest for 5 minutes. Place fish on a large serving dish, and serve straight on the table with the salad and roast potatoes (just watch out for bones!).